7.2.09 Already July.....

Teaching is an exercise unto itself. Not just teaching people the subject matter you're supposed to be knowledgeable about, but learning how to relate and relay that matter to people. So when Vincent brought his 2 kids to class, although I was hesitant at first, I took it upon myself to really teach them properly and see how my teaching methods would translate to them.

Couple of thoughts on teaching kids.
1) Kids thoughts are every where. I feel like nowadays in a time of constant information and constant changing fads. Kids' attention spans tend to waver fast. Luckily Vincent's kids were able to focus. However they did tend to thing they "got" it after being shown once. This is cute, but I myself have to learn to let my expectations go when it comes to kids. They're kids.

2) How realistic am I supposed to make the training? Is telling a kid he would cut his thumb off really necessary? However that's the reason why you don't do certain things. It's a delicate balance in which reality won last night with my constant remind that one of their hands wouldn't be whole after a mistake they made.

3) One great thing I think would be helpful from learning japanese swordsmanship is the idea of presence, immovability, and posture. I feel like for teenagers especially when there are so many things that they are caught up in, having those things I just mentioned can help weather the storm a bit. It did for me, and when I was a teenager and I could have been caught up into things, budo helped me learn how to pressure instead of be pressured.

Okie on to the notes -
For you kiddies, I'm going to bunch the notes together since it pertains to both of you
1) Kamae - make big, proper footing is what establishes the rest
2) Each movement with intent
3) Be aware of where your edge is at all times
4) Don't look down, feel your way through it
5) Don't be afraid to make mistakes but be aware that mistakes can lead to embarrassing self injury
6) Do things as I showed you, not what you think is right. The end result is not as always important the act of getting there
7) Keep your fingers together (pointer and thumb) during koiguchi at all times until the tsuba is close enough to catch with your thumb.

Vincent -
1) Use that method of knowing where your edge is at home to help fix your hasuji.
2) Cut with your abs not your arms
3) If your sword has space to wobble and move around, that means you're not extending as far as you can
4) Keep your koiguchi up past the saya. I shouldn't see any part of the saya's opening during noto or batto
5) Keep your point inside

Neil - I didn't really get to watch you too much but couple of things I saw
1) your posture's improved but everything else is rusty
2) Your cuts are strong at the end but weak in the beginning
3) Make sure your feet are on the same line during sui hei

Have a good 4th!

Comments

Don Capari said…
Sensei,

Thanks for the comments we keep this in mind when we are practicing.

Vincent, Serena & Ryan

Popular Posts