Bakersfield Tai Kai

I recently returned from the Bakersfield Tai Kai. I went to go teach seminars, do a demonstration, and judge at the competition, but I came back learning something. It was something I've always known, but forgotten over time.

Many people at the tournament have never competed before. If not their first time trying certain cuts, or having difficulty in cuts. A lot of work to be done per say. I remember when trying to do kesa giri was a difficult task. I do get on people's cases about how easy it can be and effortless it is and sometimes I forget how difficulty is relative to the practitioner. Watching and helping people trying to do the cut, and succeeding felt great. However the greater feeling was seeing how hard they worked on it and made me want to work that hard to achieve that feeling for myself.

I remember what it was like my first time cutting and even first time cutting in the middle of a tai kai. Even failing or succeeding, it just put a fire in me to train. Train harder to come back better. Competing against other people win or lose helps you set a bar for yourself and realize how hard everyone works to strive. It makes you feel like a slacker if you're not trying your best too. That beginner spirit is what I remembered and I know will help my technique grow.

Comments

Popular Posts