Kihon. Basics. What may seem so simple truly is the foundation. Even though you practice diligently, practice does not make perfect. Perfect practice make perfect, So when you are far from perfect, what is gained through suburi? You need to learn from each swing. How was this better or worst than the last? How can I improve? How can I apply this to my waza?
Nukiuchi from kata at class was a learning experience. Power and speed is no substitute for correct timing, form, and hasuji. Trying to muscle through a cut only came up with embarrassing results. When timing and hasuji was correct the cut seemed almost effortless. Is it that basics disappear just because there is a target in front of you? Or are your flaws magnified because there is proof of your failures in the inability to sever the wara? I think both. After class, I ran through kata again. Trying to apply what I learned about distance, timing and hasuji from tameshigiri to my kata. I quickly noticed that my tenouchi was bad as I drew for nukiuchi, Impossible to grip properly, let alone have proper hasuji. I also noticed how off square I am to the target during kata. Sensei had pointed this out repeatedly during past classes, but for some reason I really got it while doing kata that night after class. Now, can I make the changes permanent through practice? Time will tell. How can something so simple be so hard? Keep working on kihon.

Comments

Don Capari said…
All to true Ron. It's always the case of one step forward, two steps back. It's all humbling and rewarding at the same time.

Popular Posts