Facing a Samurai

There are many times when you simply have to put up or shut up. This happend to me, (yet again), last month while Mukai Sensei and Hataya Sensei came to visit.

First, this experience was incredible. Being so close to many, many decades of knowledge was awe inspiring. I forgot, how to get dress, where to stand, how to bow, everything. Then to have Firestone Sensei and his students there, it was VERY humbling.

Nonetheless, throughout both seminars, both Sensei directions and advice was very familar. Their words were Sang Sensei words: "reach", "focus", "relax", "squeeze". This was actually very encouraging. Because I am very lucky to have an instructor with a very strong lineage. Also, I am very fortunate to be training with very powerful sempai.

Cutting infront of the Sensei was nerve-racking. But I had to put up. Being the first to cut infront of the Japanese Sensei was paralizing for me. Sang Sensei, gave me a few words of advice. He said, "hurry up there are many people who have to cut behind you and don't screw up". All I heard was, "you can do this, make us proud". I bowed in and kesa, kesa, kesa, kesa, kesa. I did it. It was all gravy from there.

The most important part of both seminars was K-town. This what martial arts is truely about comraderie, friendship and bringing diverse people together. As I sat across from Hataya & Mukai Sensei, I noticed something. They were very friendly. They cared about our well-being. They were more like benvolent big brothers. Then I realized that I was eating, conversing and even joking, with modern day Samurai. Most important of all, they want me to become a samuari as well.

So from now on, when I look in the mirror or see my reflection, I am looking at a future Samurai. Therefore I have to ask more of myself. This means very simply, I have to put up.

Comments

Popular Posts