Looking for my Enemy in Minnesota-


Louis Sensei reminded us about intent while performing Kata-

As you progress, you should be able to see your enemy, you begin to grasp the bunkai. When you cut, where are you cutting, and why? How do you create separation from your enemy to make the next cut? Do you see your enemy react to your seme and then cut him through? Sensei said when you can truly see this, people watching you perform kata will begin to see the enemy too.

I watched others and was not able to "see" the enemy in their kata, and thought, is my kata without spirit as well? Only more reason for me to train.

When I approach the wara, do I see the enemy?

Elder Sensei explained the cadence for inazuma- cut cut----cut., not cut cut cut. Almost a tsubame then taking the given opportunity to finish the enemy with a clean strong kesa. Although I've heard it many times, it did not stick. Then, while watching Sensei demonstrate, and showing the power and finality behind the last cut I could see the enemy he had just cut down. Again, more reason for me to train. Will I ever get it?

We work kata into our muscle memory, so we can react with no-mind. To do what we must when our instinct says something else. If we react properly, but without spirit or intent the cut will not be effective and without merit.

Watching kata or tameshigiri that is technically correct but without spirit is like watching black and white T.V.- boring.

I recall watching Itsuka Sensei performing kata and feeling the intent. I could hear the hasuji even though sword was moving in half-time. I could feel the power from 20 feet away.

Now that is watching kata in Blue Ray HD!

Comments

Popular Posts