Victory

I was extremely happy to have my old friend and kendo sempai Kazu Takase come and visit us at the dojo. He came and we had dinner together and he was talking to one of the kenshinkai members. He told them that victory is not always about winning the fight, but more importantly, overcoming the goal you set yourself. Winning the fight is an overall goal, that is built up by smaller ones.

He talked about coming in that day to practice and telling himself, today, I want to have accomplish a good men uchi (strike to the head) and other days, he said he wanted to accomplish a good ai men etc.

This is mentality is quite important to building a good overall foundation. A lot of times I see people get caught up in I want to do well. That is too optimistic to put it plainly. So next time you're in class, set a simple yet important goal for yourself, and see if you can accomplish and maintain it.

Comments

Popular Posts