Sharp swords

Many times when we buy swords, we look to buy the sharpest thing out there. Lightsabres and super thin mat cutters are great at what they're designed to do. Cut soft targets.

When people use these to cut, getting through the target isn't much of a problem. They'll try to concentrate on angles, or spacing etc. This is fine, however what does happen is a person can get too reliant on that kind of sharpness.

A sharp sword makes cutting much easier, but at the same time we tend to bastardize our technique. The sword does the job and we just put in just enough umph to make it wrong. This is the incorrect mindset. When you go up to cut, you're making a cut on an enemy not a target. I don't think anyone would make a swing at an enemy with that little energy.

It happens to everyone including me. Sometimes it gets too easy that it becomes almost boring. I know gasp, cutting? boring?! never! Even if I have my kotetsu, I make sure that the cut I'm doing is a cut that would do more than just enough dull or sharp. Please keep that mind set.

Comments

Popular Posts