Tip heavy vs Handle heavy

One of the questions I get asked a lot is the what's the difference between Tip heavy vs handle heavy.

Tip heavy swords in my opinion are great swords for beginners. This is because the sword will do a lot of the work for you. Because the weight is at the tip already, all the weight is generated for you at the kissaki in the swing.

Also for techniques where there is a continuous swing (ex inazuma, mizu gaeshi etc), it is easier to keep the weight in motion if you know what you're doing. If anything should be easier and faster but harder to control the speed.

For more neutral or handle heavy swords, you have to learn how to generate your own tip weight. It's much easier to shorten your swing because initially your weight will be in your hands instead of out at the far end of your cut.

Great thing however is speed. It's so much easier to generate speed with handle heavy swords. Doesn't mean it's the best cuts. I usually see that people who just try to cut fast end up hacking more so than cutting.

Also it is easier on the arms for overall during kata, suburi etc.

However both has it's plus and minus. I've noticed many people have their preference and choose what fits their technique the most. I used to love tip heavy swords but as time went on, I realized I preferred a more balanced sword which helped me develop my technique as well.

Comments

Popular Posts