Perspective

When you guys come to the dojo, I want you guys to clear your mind. I want you to TRY to start from scratch. Like you know nothing else. Build it up with the parts that are given to you rather than parts from other things.

Now after the framework has been cemented and built, then I want you to be able to add the finishing touches with things that you may know. Even if it's a different art, different, style, different activity overall, your life experiences are what bolsters your technique. That's why this is an ART. If you watch 3 different people do the same set of kata, early on, it'll be the same and should be the same. But as they grow, how they express the ideas that the kata is trying to show should start reflecting upon them as well.

This is something I really enjoy watching as students grow, as well as when new people join. Although I like to keep things very technical and I'm not a huge spiritual and artsy kind of guy, as I grow myself, I can start appreciating those aspects as well.

Comments

Popular Posts