Cutting for the First Time (Kevin Raz Version)

Right before walking right in front of my first mat, my mind struggled to remember the basics I had the most trouble with: hasuji up high, the blade should be downward, don't let the tip trail, reach out, reach out, and reach out. I even had my own shinken, so it felt as if there was more pressure on me (Sang sensei: "Yeah, this will definitely cut").

Despite it all, the moment I drew my sword out, I felt more comfortable than expected. It was a bit of a blur since it all ended so quickly (kind of afraid of what my face looked like during all that), but seeing how some of my cuts were fairly clean, I couldn't help but think to myself, "Did I just buy myself a lightsaber?"

I know at the very least I have to work on aim, angles, and no face expressions, but the cuts themselves are unknown to me. To be honest, I was having so much fun that I forgot to look if I was doing my cuts properly. Definitely not something to be proud of, neither is it a good start overall. Still, looking forward to next cutting class, in hopes that I will pay more attention when that time comes.

Comments

Popular Posts