My Trip to Fukushima Dojo!

While I was in Japan this time, I wanted to travel to Fukushima. This is where Sakaida sensei's dojo is located. I've always wanted to go, but something always came up, but this time I was quite adamant on going.

I took the shinkansen (bullet train) up, and it only took like an hour. Norito Ikeda san and Yatagai Sato san was nice to enough to pick me up. It was a bit strange for me, since I've been to Japan many times, but was always around the Tokyo-->Machida area. So it felt almost like coming to Japan to the first time for me haha.

After we got to the dojo, which was quite cool since it was at the house of Sakaida sensei, we relaxed for a bit and went to go eat at a restaurant that gave you lots of rice.

Look at those piles!! Great

Now time for training......we got to do some group kata which was great and quite interesting. Machida dojo I feel like doesn't concentrate on kata as much. Afterwards was the cutting....as everyone knows, in the States, the mats are quite expensive. In Japan, they're free. Yes...free....we cut so many mats, my shoulder got worn out (old injury showing itself again!) I cut about 30 mats and it was a class. What was great was being able to watch Shin Sasaki san and Norito Ikeda san cut. They are quite good and I was very impressed! One of the cool things was that they have a special dodan-to (sword made for dodan) which is super wide and super flat! That thing was beastly! 

What was great about this training was that since I had so many mats I could cut, I was able to push things and not worry about supply of mats. Usually I'll cut 2-3 every cutting session we have, so to be able to have cut 30 mats....that was heavenly! I was able to try to do cuts a bit differently and try some cuts I don't get to practice in class. It was also very cool cutting in front of Sakaida sensei, Ikeda san, and Sasaki san because I felt a strong need to show good technique!  

We cleaned up about half already....

After practice, was time for bathhouse and dinner. Can't go wrong with good bbq with a good crew! 


Next day, Sakaida sensei took me to Aizu. Now if you're a Shinsengumi fan and enjoy reading about the Bakamatsu etc, you'll love this area. So many cool things! They showed me this shrine for the Byakkotai, which is basically a crew of young soldiers who were killed unfortunately but showed a lot of bravery. The Byakko in Byakkotai is the same as the Byakko in Byakkokan. Not sure if that's the reason they showed me but it was quite a cool site. Lots of stairs though as you can see in the picture below.

                              

Then was a great castle in Aizu. Quite big but it was crowded that day. Got to take a good picture with Sakaida sensei wearing our shirt!


At the end of the trip, it was time to get back to Machida to take care of the crew. I had a great time in Fukushima especially since I got to get to know Sakaida sensei and the crew there a little more. I feel like I got to make great new friends as well got to train for myself! I had a great time and best yet, got to cut so many mats!!!!! 

Here's a video from that cutting session. 





Comments

Popular Posts