Some thoughts from the Tucson Tai Kai

Tucson Tai Kai Thoughts. 

The Tucson Tai Kai was a great event. One of the things about going to Tai Kai's I enjoy is seeing different styles. 

Even though it's a different style, common things are stressed and can be shown in different ways. This is why I always encourage my students to not be afraid to interact with other groups and to not be afraid to look outside the box. Even if it's different from your normal train of thought, once you find out the reason why it's done that way, it can help broaden your perspective of practice. 

There were many times at this event where I thought, "Damn I wish (insert students name) could have seen this student do it like this". It's one thing to see teachers do it, but when you see your fellow practitioners being able to do what your teacher tries to teach you, it makes a more poignant mark. 

It also puts me in a position to talk to other instructors to think of methods that I can take back and share with my guys to stress those points. A different perspective that might reach further than the ones I try to use. 

One of the teachers I really enjoy watching is Carl Long sensei. He has such a strong technique that comes with such poise and minimal effort. The composure and presence he emits followed by such a strong cut. His saya work is immaculate and is silent during the draw even in a dead quiet room. You can see this through his group and students as well and goes to show you how great of a presence Shimabukuro sensei was. 

David Drawdy sensei is a sensei that I love cross training with. Even though our curriculum is quite similar, he brings a different perspective to my understanding and I adopt many of those things to my "style" as well. Although his personality is on the quieter side, I love how "loud" his technique is expressed without having to making loud movements and was the one that really inspired me to look outside of the box to understand what's in the box. 

Dan Keupp sensei is very similar to Drawdy sensei where although he is on the quieter side, he emits a dominating presence through very big  and different movements in a precise controlled manner. Plus I'm jealous of his hops! 

Big Tony Alvarez sensei is a guy who has such a dominating presence just standing there but his technique is so minimal and precise. You can tell his technique is about expressing movement through technique rather than just relying on his physical ability which would be the easy way out. 

I just find myself fortunate that I have the privilege of being able to work alongside with these teachers from different groups and come out from these events with new inspiration. 


Comments

Popular Posts