California IBF Nakamura Ryu Tai Kai

Last year, Derek Morris began  to make plans to host the IBF (International Battodo Federation) Tai Kai in Lancaster CA. I was fortunate enough to get an invite from their group.


Normally, I go to these events and support the group that is hosting. However the Nakamura Ryu group, I'll always have a certain affinity for since they're along the same branch that we're a part of. The person I train with the most outside of my group is Dave Drawdy sensei who was a big part of how I grew as a swordsman as well. I went to support them as the President of the US Federation of Battodo. However, I wanted to do more than just watch. When I knew Seiji Sato sensei and Yoshitaka Nomura sensei were going to be there, I really wanted the chance to train with them. They are teachers I look up to and have heard many stories about and just watched videos of.



When I got to take seminars with Sato sensei, he didn't treat me like an outsider. He openly welcomed me, and helped me with kata and kumitachi. I got to train with the other upper godan and up ranked members. It was a very good experience because a different insight and perspective was being shared with me. Details for kumitachi, and the interpretation of Toyama kata was enjoyable to go through. I've seen so many videos of Sato sensei and Nomura sensei, it was rewarding to see it in person.






It was actually kind of intimidating when I was demonstrating for the enbu portion of the Tai Kai. I was demonstrating Gunto Soho in front of Nakamura Ryu's senior representatives. I normally don't get nervous for demonstrations, but can't lie and say I wasn't this time. Luckily I got through it ok haha. From there, I got to watch other great teachers demonstrate as well such as Robin Ramirez and Big Tony. Then the finale was kumitachi as well as Sato sensei's enbu.



Another thing was, I decided to compete. It's been too long, and I missed that experience. Even better because I had no responsibilities (thanks Derek!). Didn't matter to me win or lose, or how I would look, just wanted to go out there. Even if the results weren't the best (curse you rubber band...), I had a great experience doing so. Also, Mike Shapiro was there as my lone student. I wanted to compete just so he would have someone to go through the events with instead of just watching from a distance. I wanted to go through this together as a team.


Last thing. Although a different group from what I belong to, the guys who I saw at this Tai Kai are just extended sword family for me. I don't care what school, lineage etc. I just love being around with these guys and experiencing it together. I got to meet and get to know other members from Japan, as well as the other teachers that were there as well. I got to help out people with pointers etc too.

The worst thing that you can do as a teacher, is to feel overly comfortable and forgetting the mindset of a student. I'm glad I got my student fix at this event. Overall, a great memorable experience, and thank you to the crew that put it all together!



Comments

Popular Posts