Weight.

We spoke about this at the end of class a few days ago.

Of course we enjoy the practice of swordsmanship. We talk about cuts, techniques and applications. However for some, they are superficial, they are just words. Something that is used to talk about the techniques themselves. It's easy to think of it "just" as a technique. It's easy for many people to imagine what it would do to an enemy. People practice and express kata, because it's part of the foundation of the style. People will comment on how cool it is (and not denying that it is....) or joke around about the applications. I've been guilty of this before as well.

When I first started battodo, especially Toyama Ryu, my parents asked me why I wanted to practice a Japanese sword art. They told me many stories about old horror stories from what many civilians suffered from during WW2. This is even though Toyama Ryu was a product of what was supposed be for the Japanese military to help revive the spirit of the warrior by adopting from many koryu arts into one system.

My grandparents and my uncle/aunts were part of that time. They told me stories, of what soldiers did to civilians with some of the techniques we practice in class. Some of these things, they've witnessed themselves. But at first they were just words and the image of what I thought it was. It was horrifying to hear about this however one day while I was at a book store, I found this book "Rape of Nanking".

This book described the actions the Japanese soldiers were doing to civilians. The worst part, there were pictures. There were pictures of what was done to the civilians. There were pics of the results of the techniques that we teach in class. After seeing and reading this book, I contemplated quitting practice. How can I be practicing a style that was used to hurt people like this, some for "fun".

After I read this book, when we talked about techniques in class, it would just bring up this image in my head. It wasn't just an image of an imaginary opponent anymore. These techniques were "tested" which is why we have the information that we use to teach.

Now, studying swordsmanship should be a fun class. It's a medium to help people grow and bring people together from all different backgrounds. It's fun, because we see each other suffer to grow in this art. When it comes to explaining training methods (exercises, tools, methods, conditioning), I can joke and have fun because that way hardships to get to a certain level is more bearable together.

However when it comes to talking about the applications, that's when I can't really joke around about it. You'll never see me smiling about it. When you're explaining what the result of a proper technique should lead to, that's not something that should be taken lightly. One teaching method I use is when I'm showing a student of why the cut should go a certain angle, I'll stand in range and guide their sword across my body instead of telling them to just go 45 degrees. Some people cringe at seeing that and feeling their dull sword being traced across a certain part of my body. This is why I normally do not accept kids in my class unless I talk to their parents first.

In modern times, we're separated from certain images to help keep the peace. Things are presented in a way where it's more presentable. You see it in TV, video games, etc. Even when we practice gekken, or cutting, sometimes it is taken lightly. We laugh and have fun in class. It's a natural tendency sometimes because we do get disconnected from what it was. I'm guilty of this too. Sometimes, when I examine pictures and videos from class, sometimes I see myself "enjoying" myself. Although it's not because I'm happy I'm hurting people, it's more the thrill of accomplishing something through practice. At the same time I remind myself to try to make sure the student understands the weight of what is being taught as well.

I believe the techniques we practice, we practice to help ourselves grow physically, spiritually and mentally. But to do that, we have to understand the weight of what we are practicing and teaching. It's not just words or swinging at the air, there's a reason for everything to be done a certain way and has been tested. Regardless of what style, I believe as a teacher, I should remind students of these things. I have to remind myself of these things. I explained to my father that the style itself is not at fault, it was the people who used it; explaining that through practice, it can help many people too. Then my father said to me:

"Understanding that weight is what makes a responsible teacher. That is what separates a true school of budo from superficial schools".

Nakamura sensei (and many other famous senseis as well) promote the philosophy of Katsujin-ken. "Life giving sword". This is something that is constantly repeated by Nakamura Ryu events and seminars. Drawdy sensei will say it many times when teaching a class. Katsujin-ken will lead to the idea of winning without having to use your sword which is the highest level of budo. To build yourself into a being that can win without ever escalating by using your spirit and demeanor. I also believe however, you can never understand Katsujin-ken unless you understand what Satsujin-ken and that weight means.

However we're fortunate that the original founders of our style understood this and tried their best to pass that on without having us to experience Satsujin-ken. As teachers, we should pass on the same.

Comments

Unknown said…
I find that apart from the Calmness I get from practising, understanding the application of the techniques pushes you towards becoming a Pacifist.
Unknown said…
Great article, thank you! I also feel that katsujinken can carry the meaning of preserving and protecting life. The warrior who is a guardian rather than an assassin. To stand between evil and the innocent requires training and skill. A bit like a good bomb disposal guy probably first needs to know how to make bombs. It's what you do with the skills you have that determine whether your sword is life-giving rather than life-taking...

Popular Posts