Hataya Sensei's Visit

Recently Hataya sensei came and taught some classes. This felt kind of weird because he didn't make it last year. So it felt like it was him visiting NYC and teaching for the first time again.

As always, it's a good time with him. I think with age, he isn't as active as he used to be, but he's still quite a lively guy. After teaching for several hours, if you're feeling achy, he's more than happy to massage and fix something for you 1:00am at a restaurant of some sort haha. His cutting technique is still precise and great! Love the fact that he can do whatever technique with whatever sword, as long as it's sharp. I know many practitioners who can only do so much with their sword only.

But for me, what was interesting was that when he does come, I dont have to focus on the steps etc that he teaches, not to sound arrogant, but steps etc I already know inside and out. What's interesting is how he expresses them. When you can't speak the language of the group you're teaching to, then you gotta express it in other ways. Definitely does help to have a translator, but you can express through a lot through body language.

Now, when I teach, I do say steps, sometimes I say too much, but I realized I tend to get very expressive. I think this is something I learned from watching the Japanese sensei's teach haha. So that was interesting to perceive.

Testing is always tough. Seizankai testing is no joke. Mentally tougher than physically I feel. Usually about 30 people test all over for Seizankai rank. Usually 0 to 1 pass. This year we had 3 people pass including me. We got quite lucky but luck, is a skill too! Seizankai is not a necessary thing, but something to make you want to reach higher, reach for more! Sounds corny and cliche but it'll help you in the long run.

Overall, the trip itself was tiring, and many of us got sick afterwards. However, Hataya sensei visiting is always a good time. He's quite happy with our group and loves visiting NYC even if it's just for all the korean food.


Comments

Popular Posts