Comfortable.

When I was just a student, I can honestly say I had no fear of messing up. There was no expectation put upon me. There was no weight on my shoulders. Of course I represented my dojo, but I was just a student so who cares!? So I would be in the backyard experimenting etc to make myself better.

As the time grew on, and I started moving up, I could start feeling the weight grow, expectations etc all grow. However, I felt like I trained so hard when I had no fear, that I had to trust that kind of spirit and carry it through regardless of whatever was put upon me. As a teacher, I think it's quite easy for teachers to become comfortable, but that's also partly because they put so much focus on their students, but even then, teachers/seniors worry sometimes about looking bad in front of others.

The point though, where I see people stagnate the most is when I find that people are feeling too safe and comfortable with their technique. They do the same thing every time, they're too comfortable staying in that box. Even if it feels like your technique is good, that's fine but that's the point where it'll stay at. If that level is high enough, I'm happy for you, but that's where the growth will stop.

Me personally, even if I feel like I understand the technique, I'll always try to push it more. I'll probably mess up this or that trying to experiment but who cares? Push your ego aside.

At the dojo, I have no expectations of you (except please don't get hurt!!), you go as far as you push yourself. That's the challenge I enjoy and really the only way to rise above the rest. For me it took me coming out of brain tumor surgery to realize how comfortable I was.




Comments

Popular Posts