New Year 2015

We've done our 1000 cuts and started off the new year with a bang. Afterwards, it's easy to look back on 2014 for myself. I was able to make more memories than I expected to in my personal life and in my martial arts life.

I feel like everyone who practices for awhile reaches a point where they plateau or even a point where it doesn't have the same incentive to train as much anymore. I thought I was reaching it myself. If it wasn't for my position as a teacher and in the fed, I would have probably taken a small break for myself in terms of training.

However, when my medical condition hit me earlier this year, I realized how much more the world of sword training impacted my life outside of the dojo as well. People from the sword community all over came out and helped support me. Didn't matter the style or organization affiliation. When there was that chance that I might not be able to practice any more, it made me realize how fortunate I was that I was in a situation that I could train and share.

After surgery and some recovery time, I can still remember my first day back in the dojo. Even though it was about a month without practice, the feeling of the sword in my hand, seeing my students training, there was something re lit the fire inside me. I wanted to start over again in a way and enjoy training for myself again.

I restarted training for myself and pushed limits that were put upon me by my ailment. I got to travel around and share what I know, and got to meet new practitioners passion for the arts as well. Through these experiences I feel like I've improved so much within in a year for myself. I feel a new sense of freedom and purpose in my movement.

My new years dojo resolution is to never forget that feeling of when I came back to the dojo and got to train again, and how lucky I am and to be able to share that joy with people. Cheers everyone and safe training for the new year.

Comments

Popular Posts