2016

Last day of 2016!!!!! Time always goes by so fast. We had some big moments for the dojo this year! Now what I mean by big moments is not just competitions, but what I've seen from class.

I always believe the worst mistakes are the same mistakes. The new mistakes people made in class made me quite proud. New mistakes mean the old mistakes have been figured out and people were able to move on! New mistakes also mean they made the information given to improve and made it their own. As a teacher, I believe there is nothing better than having new things to say and cheer them on when they make new mistakes (as long as they're safe ones haha).

New mistakes from students help remind me by putting me in a situation on how I got over it myself. As I give the information to do so, it helps keep me in check for so long. My father has told me, "The person at the top can end up nowhere because he forgot how he got there". This was to help me help tutor kids in high school.

Due to some things that happened in 2016, I was not able to lead the class as much as I normally could. I've run the class almost every single time since 2005. I thought that was to avoid being irresponsible but really it was me making a bad choice as a teacher. I had to let my senior guys know what the responsibility meant. Taking on that responsibility and succeeding how to learn from it is what truly makes a great martial artist. 3 great things it did.

1) It made the senior guy more responsible for their basics
2) It helped senior guys realize how tough it is to try to be a good teacher.
3) It helped me eat dinner first before class and go on vacations.

Because of all this, when Zach asked me for permission to start his own group in Brooklyn, I did not have to doubt him and looked forward to the growth that it would cause him to learn (muahahahaha). Seeing that group grow was just as exciting to see my dojo grow. If it was 2015, I would have probably said no, but I myself grew so I was willing to cheer him on. Being a good teacher/senior is just as tough as being a good student!

So as 2016 ends, it's easy to look back at great memories, but at the same time, I'm even more excited to make new ones for the dojo and its fellow groups. We all have something to learn!

Happy new years! Cheers.




Comments

Popular Posts