Under Pressure! (cue song)

When I first joined our class a few years ago, testing for dan rank really never crossed my mind. I kept coming to class because

  1. I really enjoyed it
  2. I gained personal gratification through achieving specific incremental goals established every class (e.g., achieving better cutting angles, working towards stronger transition cuts in kata, or after class, taking that one extra shot of exotic liquor brought back by a vacationing student - Ha ha!!!). 

However, it wasn’t until last year, I was offered the opportunity to test for the first time with the encouragement of Kim sensei.

Again, I had no inclination to test when I joined the class, but I realized that testing is the ultimate method to validate what had been learned in class. My own conclusion from my experience is that testing for dan rank is 90% psychological. Assuming that one has practiced the requirements for the test (tameshigiri pattern, kata), one should have a reasonable sense if he/she is prepared to test. Of course, the judges will have their own particular criteria in scoring, but one should have a good sense of their physical ability to execute what is required.

No matter how confident one feels prior to testing, it is impossible to prepare for the test environment. Testing in front of unfamiliar judges and audience is terrifying. It is this aspect of training that really challenges the mind’s focus and controlling one’s nerves… and cannot be simulated in class or at home.

Similar to so many other aspects of life, an important aspect of this mental training is being prepared to fail. Many of us have given presentations in school or work, performed musical recitals or competed in athletic competitions. The outcome of success is never guaranteed but one gains valuable experience by losing the fear of performing in front of the public through repetition.

In some cases, most of us will encounter failure. But progress can only be attained by learning from mistakes and trying again. I strongly believe this element of testing not only strengthens one’s development in class but can also help one’s development in life.

Dave Ahn





Comments

Popular Posts