Why so serious?!

I mean, we are swinging around 3 foot razors but I think I've been trying too hard. Let me explain.

During the last couple of classes before the New Year, we were taught some new and quite interesting concepts. How slower is actually faster and how that actually applies to intent. During an iai/batto drill, we were shown that a slow and subtle movements disguise intent more than trying to move at hyper-fast-turbo speeds. Same for gekken. But I took away a couple of other things during that lesson which did not fully "click" till Jan 3, the evening before the first class of the year.

Personally, I believe I may have been confused on the meaning of "intent" and my application of it. When performing kata, my intent and purpose was to cut through an imaginary target. Somehow, that also translated in to using muscle to speed up the cuts and increase power to show intent. Which, in reality, would've telegraphed [old hand to hand term] what I was planning to do to a real opponent. And that would be bad. Real bad.

So what is "intent" for batto? My personal definition of it is to win the battle if swords have to be drawn. If I'm telegraphing, I've already lost (unlike in hand to hand where you can get additional chances). Waitaminute ...

If I swing my sword and try to muscle it ...
  1. I'm telegraphing my intent.
  2. Usually is slower than being relaxed.
  3. The cut itself is going to be messed up because I'm so stiff (i.e. the dodan "class" was clear proof for me).
If I swing my sword and relax/try to be smooth ...
  1. I hide my intent better.
  2. Is as fast or probably faster than when I try to muscle it.
  3. The cut is cleaner and deeper (again, dodan).
Now, I've figured out using less muscle helped my cuts during batto camp and thought I made some progress. But I always end up muscling it during cutting classes afterward. I tried to consciously relax and use less muscle every first attempt at a mat but pretty much failed miserably. And I finally figured out why.

Kata.

I practiced kata all the time with what I believed was the right intent. Which translated into myself automatically reverting to muscling when it was time to cut. It was turning into muscle memory every time I swung a sword during kata.

This year, my primary focus will be to fix my kata even further starting with intent. To work on my overall stiffness and not act so "serious" during kata. I think senbongiri definitely helped me to realize this. Throughout the class, I was focusing on using less muscle and increasing tip speed with control. Since I was practicing this during the class, the first cut through the mat was done without muscle. It wasn't a great rokudan giri but surprisingly, I did not get stuck which is definitely one of those mental blocks during cutting that also subconsciously made me cut with muscle in the past.

The trick will be applying all of the crap swirling in my head into actual actions and improvements. But I guess that's the reason why I train.

Or it maybe for the beer. Hmmm. Arrrrr!

Comments

Sang Kim! said…
one thing you can add to a benefit of being relaxed during your swing is that you can recover from missing quicker. Great post though!

Popular Posts