Plateau.....

I've been training for quite some time. Almost 12 years of Toyama Ryu, and even more of that in Kendo. Teaching and taking care of organizational subjects tend to be even more tiring on your training experience because it doesn't become just about training any longer. The responsibilities that come along with it all can become quite tiring. 

Due to the unfortunate Hurricane Sandy and the snow storm following soon after, there was a very big gap in training time. Almost a week and a half I feel it was. At first I thought I would welcome the extended break in training time but I was quite wrong. I felt maybe 1 or 2 days of ease and after that I was itching to get back on the floor to train and teach.

This made me extremely happy in a way. Why? Well other than training, it made me happy that I still have the desire to be on the dojo floor. My time in the sword arts is nowhere near as long as some of the other teachers out there, but my life is taken up by a big percentage of the dojo life. At such a young age, I would think that my focus would have strayed here and there. I always see beginners having that itch to be on the floor, and it can be quite inspiring sometimes, and it makes me feel at ease knowing I can still feel that too.

The power was out in the dojo so therefore we missed classes. Once I heard the power was back on, I went and visited and just sat in the dojo for a bit and just kind of breathed it in. 

Don't get me wrong, there are times where I would welcome the rest at home too. Plateauing is a normal part of any long term learning experience. Some people fear it, but it's the people who truly love the art that can over come it. I've plateau'd many times in my sword career, but I've been fortunate enough that I had many people inspire me to continue. Whether it was a well known sensei, or just an enthusiastic noob that brought me some inspiration, I feel fortunate that I have the opportunity to train. 

Comments

Popular Posts