ARRRRRRRRRRRRR~!

So lately unfortunately, I've been having some eye problems. This has lead me to wearing an eye patch during class. If I don't wear the eye patch, my posture becomes funny and that drives me nuts during class haha.

What's very interesting however is when I have the eye patch on during gekken. The eye patch helps me keep my posture correct, however distance takes a hit. You rely on both eyes to help gauge distance however when you're reduced to one all of a sudden, that distance is actually "extended" in a way. When you feel like you're in distance, you're a little out. So you have to tell yourself to adjust but extending more, or step further in to just get your distance correct.

Another aspect is that your field of vision is limited. You have about 3/4 of your full field of vision. If your opponent swings outside of that field, it's almost like the sword disappears! You have to rely on zanshin and sight of your opponents arms to help gauge where the opponents sword is coming from. However techniques can help you as well. When you feel the opponent is cutting, you just cut forward to "cut" through your opponents cut. This is quite tough but if you can pull this off, then you're pulling off one of the toughest ideas and techniques in Japanese swordsmanship, Almost a sen no sen. To make sen no sen work, it's gotta be done in a way cause you made it happen not just you reacting. Tough practice!

Although I might be limited in sight, it has helped me practice great ideas. Also I really enjoy the challenge : )

Comments

Popular Posts