K2 and D2's First Tameshgiri Experience...

Normally I don't let people cut til about 6 months in unless they've practiced in another style or learn quickly, however I let students cut at seminars or camps. K2 (Kevin Pena) got a chance to cut and work with Mike Femal sensei. Here is his thoughts on this..

Amazing Experience

Wednesday, November 15, 2014, I went attended the US Federation of Batto Do seminar at the Genbukan Dojo. On the ride there Sang Sensei made the comment that today would be the first time that D-2 and I would be cutting. My initial reaction was that of confusion as I was not expecting to be able to cut but I warmed up to the idea and got excited about it.

While doing the Shoden Kata Seminar with Femal Sensei he made it a point to stress proper grip. I don't know how it is with the rest of you but I never realized how much the fundamentals really affect the action being performed. This fact which I realized after performing my first cut.

The feeling going up to performing my cuts was one of excitement and confusion. Excitement because of it was my first time cutting and confusion because I was not entirely sure of how I should be spacing myself from the target. Femal Sensei helped with the latter of these and words from Dave Senpai to not complicate things and just relax about it helped me level myself.

After my first cut I realized the importance of proper grip because the impact jarred my thumb a bit. The next few cuts I had proper grip; or at least I believe I did because it did not hurt. I did however shaku a few times on the hidari kesa cut. On my final cut I also hit the peg but I was happy because I was able to cut through it cleanly.

I can't wait to do this again.





And now D2's (Daniel Viera) Turn......

When I first heard I was going to cut I immediately became nervous. I've been practicing Toyama Ryu for about 7 months but I was still surprised that Kim Sensei felt I was ready to give it a try. When I arrived at the dojo, I wasn't sure which seminars to take so I asked Kim Sensei. He suggested Chuden Kata 1-4. I've seen these katas before but this was my first time actually practicing them. During Chuden Kata Nihon Me I actually cracked my saya. Charles and Zack were very helpful in giving tips on how to repair it myself. The class was very informative and gave me a lot of material to practice. It was also interesting how each kata focused on an opponent who was in a different direction.
 
When the time arrived for the cutting I again felt nervous as I waited for my turn. Myself and K-2 were the only ones cutting for the first time, so we waited for everyone else before we took our turn. As I waited I took note of the techniques used when actually cutting. When it was my turn I mentally prepared myself and imagined myself cutting the tatami before beginning. Femal Sensei instructed me on the correct distance to perform a proper cut, then allowed me to begin. My first cut was a little flat and Femal Sensei explained to keep my edge down as I swing. I made the adjustments and felt better about my second cut. When I tried a kessa from the left side, my blade stuck into the tatami. Femal Sensei explained that I needed to tighten my grip as I connect with the tatami and again explained about using the proper angle. I later tried a gyakku kessa which seemed a little flat but otherwise seemed ok.
 
One thing I noticed is that my mental state changed once I arrived at the point where I could only cut one more time before hitting the peg that holds the tatami. I tried to adjust my cuts but did not have the same follow through. I was worried I would hit the peg and instead of performing a clean cut, I would either not cut all the way through or shave the top of the tatami. I also noticed that although during kata my kessa from the left has a better hasuji than my right, my cuts were better from the right than from the left. I believe part of it is that when I perform a kessa, I turn the blade a little more for better hasuji. But when I cut tatami, that same angle leaves me with a flat cut that scoops a little. I need to adjust my angle slightly so I can perform consistent cuts during both kata and tameshigiri. After watching video of myself cutting I could also see that my posture needs a little adjusting and my tip trailed during certain cuts.
 
I thank both Kim Sensei and Femal Sensei for giving me a great experience and a chance to advance my training a little further.




Comments

Popular Posts