Representation

Although we are a Japanese sword dojo, we practice the idea of budo in the sense that you should grow just as much as a person. I know we never really emphasize the idea of strong spirit other than the strong spirit behind technique but this is something I would like people to work on.

1) Remember that you represent our dojo, me, Hataya sensei, and our style. When we talk about lineage, the difference between "legit" dojos and the mcdojos are our lineage. There is no question where our knowledge comes from, at the same time, it is a burden in a sense. Carry it proudly.

2) I want you to be able to visit another dojo, and I would like you to not just be a great example of technique, but of respect and protocol. I feel like we do stress proper dojo etiquette, and I would like you to reflect that. I've been to dojos or have had other dojo visitors where their etiquette was not that strong, and it was a poor reflection of their school.

3) I don't really care how good your technique is. What I do care is that your presence and spirit is humble but confident. If you're visiting another dojo, don't go trying to help them. If they ask a question, then answer it in a low key way. If you're visiting a dojo, you adapt to their way. At the same time, what you learn there you keep for yourself, but don't bring it to our dojo. What we do is what we do.

Luckily we have not had anybody become a problem in this sort of way, but as we're getting an influx of students, I would like to remind people of the standard that I hold them to in the dojo.

Comments

Popular Posts