Thoughts on Returning to Batto Training

I'm really out of shape. That is the first thing I thought when I stepped into the mat, and started training again, after a 2+ month hiatus. Though sensei was quite accommodating, relatively speaking, it's been a while since I've felt that...unprepared physically.

Technique aside, it was my physical conditioning that was most telling. I was never in the greatest of shape before hand, and I was in even worse shape, after 2+ months of basically being inactive. This stuff is HARD.

Regardless, as stated previously, this is a long-term endeavor, and just making it through a class after a couple of months of basically not having done any sword work was a good feeling. 5 Lessons learned:

1.) There's always something that can be done to continue training with a sword, regardless of injury (within reason of course).

2.) It's important to stay in shape. Though less strenuous constantly, like a striking or throwing unarmed martial arts, you need to have the same physical fitness with sword. It will make things easier and better, in the long run.

3.) You can do it, if you're motivated enough. I have extreme issues with cardio, but sensei motivated me to push through. I got farther than I would on my own...and the challenge is to maintain self motivation when training alone.

4.) You can do more than you think. Though I, shamefully, could not complete the entire conditioning routine, having a goal placed in front of me allowed me to go farther than I thought...and now I have an idea of my current limitations.

5.) Set goals and achieve them. 1-4 are powered by your goals. If you have none, how can you get to another level?

There's a million things that can be said and done, these were a few. In any case, encouraging myself to come back was the first difficult step. Now, the harder work of getting to where I was, and then beyond really begins!

Comments

Popular Posts